top of page
Gilpin History Museum
228 E. First High Street, Central City
Construction of Central City's new two-story school began June 24, 1869, and the first classes were held on October 24, 1870. The school's last graduating class was in 1966. The Gilpin Historical Society took ownership of the building in 1970, and the Gilpin History Museum opened in 1971. The museum houses collections related to the history of Gilpin County, with exhibits focusing on life in and the people of Gilpin County from the 1860s to the present. Displays include the Mountain Submarine, a recreated Main Street, the Mining Room, a school room, Gilpin County: Mining Camp to Home, and rotating special exhibits.
bottom of page